Friday, February 04, 2011

Six Functions of Art: #4... Give tangible form to the unknown.

Six Functions of Art


4. Give tangible form to the unknown.

William Adolphe Bouguereau
Une âme au ciel (Translated title: A Soul in Heave)
1878 ~ Oil on canvas

Art helps us see things we can only imagine. Artists have been taking us into the unknown since the beginning. I chose this painting by Bouguereau as my example. He depicts angels carrying a young deceased woman into Heaven. This painting has always appealed to me since the passing of my sister who was about the same age as Bouguereau’s subject.






Stay tuned as I share my thoughts and examples on function #5... Give tangible form to feelings and ideas.

"A Pondering Heart" after Bouguereau...
7x5" Oil on Canvas Board by Bernie Rosage Jr.

I was inspired by Bouguereau's painting, "Le Baiser" and Luke 2:19 to produce this cropped version as a head study.... "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart"...


"The Cross Set Before Him"...
Bernie Rosage Jr.
20"x16" Oil on canvas, 2004,
Inspired by Hebrews 12:2.




No comments: