Over the next several days I'd like to discuss the six functions of art – or the purposes for which humans create art. I plan to share examples of works (plus some of my own) that illustrate each of the functions and explain why I selected the works that exemplify these functions.
Six Functions of Art
• 1. Create places for some human purpose.
• 2. Create extraordinary versions of ordinary objects.
• 3. Record and Commemorate.
• 4. Give tangible form to the unknown.
• 5. Give tangible form to feelings and ideas.
• 6. Refresh our vision and help us see the world in new ways.