Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bernie's Ramblings: "It's IN him and it's GOT to come out!"

I love the Blues... not the color as much as... the MUSIC...

Everything from the acoustic toe tapping riffs and raw vocals of Lightnin' Hopkins to the twenty minute electric stratocaster jams by Jimi Hendrix. However, if I had to pick one favorite blues artist it would have to be John Lee Hooker (1917-2001). I did this portrait of him as a tribute.

My artistic release is much like a line from one of John Lee Hooker's songs, "Boogie Chillen"...

"I heard Papa tell Mama "LET that boy boogie-woogie! It's IN him and it's GOT to come out!" And I felt so goood! Went on boogyin' just the same!"

"It's IN him and it's GOT to come out!" ... that's exactly how I feel about creating artwork! God put the desire and passion in me to create my artwork... there's a sense of completeness and fullfillment when I do.
Image:"The Bluesman"... 8"x10" Oil Pastel on Gessoed Panel, 2003. Private Collection
Thanks for listening and looking...
Bernie

No comments: